As a pastor to students, youth pastor, junior pastor, etc. there are quite a few reputation things that I have to battle against. Not only that, but because of who I am there’s also a ton of things that I have to work on. Self-awareness is such a gift and also such a burden sometimes, haha.
Ultimately, there are a few things in the next year that I want to really focus on. Here’s my list and I hope that you’ve been working on your list as well.
- Better husband – my wife is a stay at home mom, toughest gig ever, and I want to serve her as much as I can as she serves our family daily. father – son dates, housework, and grocery shopping are just a few ways I’m doing that now, but I’m pumped to see how much more I can figure out to help!
- Better dad – Very soon, my son will be crawling and moving around. I can’t wait. Playing, reading, and learning is something that I will be doing a ton this next year.
- Writing – I have a few projects that will get underway soon because of some Christmas money, thank you Jesus! I’m hoping that this is something that I get much better at.
- Time – on time, managing time, and making the most of my time.
- Teaching parents to talk about the Bible – I love my job and talking to students, but as I’ve learned this past year about delegation and resourcing, this is an area that I have to do in order to really help my students the most. I have to help parents get comfortable, confident and equipped to teach their kid about the Bible.
- Speaking – I’ve been a naturally good communicator since middle school. But I have a lot to work on in organization and simplifying my talks. I’m excited and have a few good books on dock and can’t wait to put some of the things I learn into practice
- Systems – This quote challenges me, “If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you’re doing” (W. Edwards Deming). I hope to put more systems into place this year to help us minister to students better
- Hunting – I’ve got some recreational goals for this year. Along with this one there are others that didn’t make this list but gotta have some fun planned. I’ve got a friend that is planning to teach me as much as he can about hunting. I can’t wait!
- Diet and Exercise – I need to eat better and do a bit more exercise. I’m looking to lose about 15 pounds and overall develop some more healthy habits! It’s gonna be tough because of how awesome a cook my wife is.
- Running – I miss running. There is something about the cool air in my lungs as I’m pushing to hit another mile that I miss. My body is much different than it was when I ran but I’m looking forward to getting back on track and pushing some major runs through my system.
- Building – I’m hoping to take on some house projects this year and really develop and improve our home. I need some help to do this but I’m thinking about hardwood floors, landscaping in the backyard, and maybe even a garage overhaul.
- Bible memory – I’m working through a Catechism now in hopes that I’m fully prepared when Cannon gets to the age to work through this. I’m hoping to be more versed in some core doctrinal issues to help my leaders walk through some tough things with their students.
- Dress – If I’m being honest, this is the one that I’m least excited about. My closet usually doesn’t get a lot of thought. I’ve never had a pair of shoes remain clean for more than a month. As I’m growing as a leader this is one of the last things on my list that needs some development. It’s going to take some major effort to change this part of me. I’m hoping for a miracle!
What are you working on next year?