So #Orange11 has been incredible so far. Had a great chat with Chad Swanzy, Gina McClain, and Cathy Harwick talking about the preteen age group and the many talks that need to happen between parents and students. Great preteen ministry conversation we had. But that conversation needed so much more discussion and a lot more action. Which begs the question: How do you move from notes and chatter to action?
Jim Wideman mentioned today in his How to get more done in a day, that you need the right tools. So with the inspiration from Brother Jim and also this post from Ryan Millard here are some thoughts and tools to move from notes you take at Orange or another conference and transform them into action.
You must capture well
For me I use a variety of tools:
- Pen and Paper (I prefer Pilot G2(affiliate link) and Moleskine(affiliate link))
- Pictures taken on my iPhone 4 and then modified with a scanner app called CamScanner Free and then moved into Evernote 🙂
Any of these are great to use to capture thoughts, ideas, and quotes from incredible speakers, friends and even strangers. You must do your best to capture your thoughts as completely as you can.
Prioritize Action Items
What are the ideas that you need to act on? How to you label those items to set them apart from your regular non-thought provoking thoughts?
- The @ sign is something that I always use when I’m in Evernote. Why? Because you can search for the @ symbol. When you do a search for that symbol all of your action items will immediate become available to you.
- Colors if you are using pen and paper. Colors can help you organize information so well. From calendars to contacts to conversations, colors draw attention and immediately identify differentiation.
Plan and Breakdown
After you’ve prioritized action throughout your notes, you need to immediately plan to complete the tasks. One of the best things that you can do is immediately bring down the big task that you want to complete into small steps that are easily completable. Sounds simple, but this separates dreams come true versus forgotten ideas. Begin working to complete the big, one small step at a time.
Biggest Hacker Tip
Are you ready for this? I can’t believe that I’m even telling you this tip. If you take notes with pen and paper and you have a smartphone with a camera. You need to get an Evernote compliant app. I use CamScanner Free to transform pictures of notes, whiteboards, and books into brighter pictures where the white is made much more vibrant and makes the text searchable (if you use Evernote).
Here is an example from today’s notes:
I cannot tell you how much this has changed the game for me in my note taking abilities.
- Capture your thoughts
- Prioritize what needs action
- Breakdown the big into smaller more attainable steps
- Do it!!
. . .