This week I’m going thru a few reasons why you should seriously consider investing in the Orange Conference.
One of the biggest benefits to me and my leadership has been the BIG IDEAS that you get at the Orange Conference.
Some of these core ministry philosophies drive what I do every day. I’ll give you a few of them so you can kind of understand what I’m talking about.
BIG IDEAS are so important for your ministry because they give you concepts and language to share with the families, volunteers, and staff that you lead.
Most importantly, they cause you to ask great questions about your effectiveness.
Here are a couple of the BIG IDEAS that I’ve taken from Orange over the years.
The first year that I went to Orange, Reggie taught using a stock photo and then went on to illustrate that we minister to these families. But in reality those aren’t the families that are in our church. He then showed a photo of an actual family that is being ministered to in his community.
This big idea required me to think thru small shifts and strategies in my ministry.
- Who is my “target market”?
- Do I know them?
- Am I ministering to Step-Parents, Grandparents, and non-traditional families?
- How am I providing care for every family and not just the “stock photo” families?
- Do my sermons address different types of families?
This has been a gamechanger for me.
When you see how much time you have left, you tend to do more with the time you have now.
This idea of numbering your days, taken from Psalm 90:12, has given me a huge concept to teach families. They should treat their time like they treat their money. Watch it and make it count.
Some small shifts that I’ve made as a result:
- Talk thru the Marbles every time we have a transition event or talk.
- Maximize the “phases” we have with our kids.
- Spend more time with SGLs that have the most impact on a family.
- Communicate as if they are moving to the next phase rather than trying to keep them where they are.
This has been most helpful sharing with parents and volunteers.
So these are just a couple of examples of how the BIG IDEAS at Orange greatly change the amount of focus and strategy that your ministry has day in and day out. These ideas keep shaping how I think and approach Family Ministry.