I’ve been testing a great new app that I’ve been waiting for a long time called Pressgram. I’ve always been kind of leery of using Facebook and Instagram.
- Facebook just went through a large class-action lawsuit where Facebook was sued for using images and content of users for their advertising without consent or compensation. You can read the full court ruling here.
- Now their updated TOS states this:
You give us permission to use your name, profile picture, content, and information in connection with commercial, sponsored, or related content (such as a brand you like) served or enhanced by us. This means, for example, that you permit a business or other entity to pay us to display your name and/or profile picture with your content or information, without any compensation to you.
If you are under the age of eighteen (18), or under any other applicable age of majority, you represent that at least one of your parents or legal guardians has also agreed to the terms of this section (and the use of your name, profile picture, content, and information) on your behalf.
- Facebook is allowed to track your GPS location.
- Facebook is allowed to keep all data related to any application that you use.
- Instagram’s goal according to the Instagram founder is and will be that:
We’re building Instagram to be a business. And that we expect that over time we’re going to generate a lot of profit from it … probably through advertising.
So all that to say, here’s what I’ll be doing.
In 30 days, I’ll be getting rid of Instagram. For a couple of reasons:
- I don’t want my sons pictures belonging to anyone but me and my wife.
- I don’t want some crazy getting info on me and using it to harm me or my family.
I’m trying to figure out what to do about Facebook. Posting pictures of Cannon there is a huge deal for my family, but I don’t like them owning my photos. I don’t want my picture or likeness or any of my family’s picture or likeness supporting a product or service that we don’t approve or endorse.
I’m making the switch (pardon the pun) to Pressgram.
I’m making the switch and as a result, not only will you not be seeing my face on Instagram which is really sad because, there is a great community in spite of the EVIL snatching of people’s property, but you will be seeing more of my pictures on the blog.
***There is a “nice” word in this video displayed but not spoken***
You tell me, knowing more about Facebook and Instagram, does it scare you? Does it want you to at least think about making the switch? If so, here’s the link to download Pressgram.